18 October 2009

Wish You Could Smell These

Since I had three hours alone with Henry while I refrained from sharing germs with my church friends, I made Grandma Grace's rolls today. These may or may not be one of many reasons my first child is named after my grandma.

Rolls
3/4 C. Milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 pckg dry or compressed yeast (I used 2-1/4 tsp instant)
1/4 C. lukewarm water w/ 1 tsp. sugar
3-1/2 to 4 cups flour

* Activate yeast in the warm water. Make sure it doubles in size.

* Scald milk in a heavy pan. Do not let milk boil. You can tell it's scalded when lots of tiny bubbles form around the edge and it gets a little steamy.

* Add salt, shortening, & sugar to milk and mix until melted and consistent.

* Cool mixture in a bath of water so it won't toast your yeast. I find that changing it to a heavy ceramic bowl cools it quickly. The ceramic absorbs the heat fast.

* Whip egg and add to milk mixture. This also cools the mixture down a little if the eggs were in the fridge. Now add the yeast / water mixture.

* Add half the flour and whisk or use beaters until very smooth. Stir in remaining flour to form a stiff dough.

* Place in clean greased bowl. Cover with a damp towel. Let rise until double in size. I let them go an hour today, but they can also rise for three hours, especially if the kitchen is cool and dry.
* Knead, shape into rolls, and let rise until double again.

* Pre-heat oven to 425.

* Bake for 15 minutes (or until done)


If you are feeling extra saucy, double the recipe and make these:

Roll your dough into 8 x 12 rectangles, slathering butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar all over them. Roll them from the 12" side, cutting every inch, then place them in two 9 by 1-1/2 inch pans which have this mixture slathered all over the bottom:

1/3 C. whipping cream
1-1/4 C. powdered sugar

Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes, putting foil over them halfway through if they are too brown. Then invert the pans on your platter after they have cooled for 5 minutes.

The Creamy Caramel Pecan Rolls recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, only they use the frozen bread dough loaves.

11 comments:

Gina said...

These look wickedly good. I can smell them through the internet. You must be feeling better if you are baking! I think I'm officially a blog stalker. First commenter twice in a row!

Petit Elefant said...

Am making these tomorrow. YUM.

Bonnie said...

Those look yummy! I am going to have to try the recipe.

Paulette said...

That looks delectable!! I might just have to try it!

Tink said...

I wish I could smell those too....actually I wish I could taste them. They look delicious!

Dansie Family said...

if i had, you would have heard me knocking.out

Kimi said...

YUM. I made rolls yesterday too. Great minds...

msjvd said...

"Wish you could smell these"

You're a cruel sort of girl, aren't you?
:P

Linz said...

I wish I could smell those too! THey look yummy!!!

The Yoder's Four said...

Dang it, Jen. You are making me want to cook. Again.

The Rookie said...

That's it. I'm moving to Hurricane for Jen's rolls. You won't mind a squatter in the back yard, will you?