21 November 2009

Another Pie to Love: Turkey Tamale

This recipe spoke to me from the USA Weekend newspaper insert in February. It said, "You can cook me even though you nerds aren't watching the football game!" I said, "Yes, I can." And the recipe has taunted me on my fridge from that day until yesterday.
Turkey Tamale Pie, adapted from USA Weekend
1 lb ground turkey
salt
2 Tbsp chili powder, divided
1-1/2 C. salsa
1 4 oz can green chiles
*1 16 oz can pinto beans (mash half the can)
1 2.25 oz can sliced black olives, drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1 C. yellow cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 C. grated sharp cheddar

Heat large 12" ovenproof (can't beat old Cast Iron Bessie) skillet over medium high heat. Cook turkey, and lightly salt. Stir in 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, then salsa, green chilies, beans, olives, and 1/4 C. cilantro; simmer about 5 minutes. You can make it up to this point up to two days ahead and refrigerate at this point.

Bring 3 C water, cornmeal, last 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp salt to a boil in a pot, whisking frequently, until mixture thickens to mush consistency (like grits). Pour mush over hot meat mixture, spreading with a spatula to completely cover. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining cilantro. Adjust oven rack to middle position and turn on broiler. I have an electric oven and broiled on low. Broil until cheese melts and mush gets a little crusty, about 5 minutes.

Sprinkle on remaining fresh cilantro. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve. Preferably with sour cream and friends over if your family is the same size as mine, because "serves six" means six pretty hungry adults.

*I did not use canned pinto beans, since I have so many food storage dry beans to use. I found that 8 oz. dry beans soaked into 16 oz. of hydrated beans. I boiled them for 1-1/2 hours, but I think next time I'll cook them a little longer so their texture is less firm and prominent in the finished pie. I suspect shredded leftover turkey would work in this recipe, too, so that's a Thanksgiving thought for you.

4 comments:

msjvd said...

Ahhhhhh! You are so the Temptress, Jen!

Thanks!

Pots and Pins said...

Hi - I clicked on the link to donate a coat - read all about it and then decided that it was such a good idea that we needed to do it up here...so at our YM/YW planning meeting I brought up the idea and the bishop thought it was great - our ward is going to sponsor a coat drive! So, forgive me for not participating in your friends amazing effort but please thank her for the idea and give yourself on the back too...now then...why do you use a hoop to hand quilt?!!? It's SO much easier and faster to NOT use a hoop...and if the quilt is pinned well there's never a problem! Free yourself!!! xo, Nan

Jill said...

That looks good. Can I come over?

The Caffeinated Chef said...

This looks good, might have to try this at work and see how the kids like it, thanks.