03 November 2009

Bountiful Baskets

I joined a food co-op a few weeks ago in the hope of forcing our family to eat more fresh food, and getting that food for less money. You pay $15 plus $1.50 for handling or something, and you get a random basket of approximately half fruit, half vegetables. I have been very pleased with the results both times I have participated. My friend weighed her food and guessed that if she had bought everything on a good sale, she still would have saved $5 on that much food.

Pictured above is the tray after I had begun roasting the tomatillos, poblanos, onions, jalapenos, and some other mystery pepper from the Mexican add-on two weeks ago. The Mexican add-on was $7.50, and also included cilantro, lime, green onion, and avocado. I followed the recipes over here for Chiles Rellenos, and they were fantastic. The tomatillo sauce was a little heavy on the lime for me, but it was also delectable on a salad with ranch.

The co-op also offers bread, and sometimes other things are available by the case, such as tomatoes right now, or peaches in August. This week's option was an Italian pack that had Italian parsley, red onion, yellow onion, spaghetti squash, rosemary, basil, and some other herbs, and I can't remember what else.

There is a $3 sign-up fee, which I presume goes toward the baskets. The co-ordinator keeps them and separates the produce into them, then you go pick them up in your own box or basket. The co-op is run entirely by volunteers. We would like to get a drop in Hurricane, since right now we are taking turns driving to Cedar City to pick them up. If you are interested, check out the site here. This co-op is available in many Utah and Arizona locations. If we get 30 people, we think we can have a drop-off here. Let me know if you are interested!

8 comments:

The Yoder's Four said...

Our bro-in-law signed us up for this. You get SO MUCH FOOD. We just did it for one week because I'd just had the baby and wasn't up to steaming artichokes or cooking in general. But if you've got a big family who eats a lot of produce, this is a great deal!

Jesse said...

This sounds so great! I wish we lived closer. :(

Just the other day, I suffered some flack from the checker at Walmart. Apparently, I was buying an unacceptably large amount of produce. As she was ringing up the kale she looked at me and said, "Seriously? What do you even do with this stuff?" Then she glanced all pathetic/empathetic like at my children. I feel that I belong in a co-op like you have.

Jessi said...

What a great idea! I wonder if they have something like that in Georgia.

The Rookie said...

What a cool idea!

msjvd said...

I don't know what makes me more jealous: you living near enough that co-op or the co-op living near you??

Oh... how will I ever figure that out?

Wait... it's the co-op. I'm more jealous of them. :)

Dansie Family said...

i'm in! i am still working on getting our site up and running. i put you as the official back-up volunteer site coordinator. is that okay?

Jen said...

Liz, that's awesome.

Jesse, I can't believe that Walmart worker. I had one ask if I would be done having kids after Henry, and act like I was crazy for having more than that. But I figured I didn't have to respect her opinion, because she was definitely in her 70s, trying to look like a punk teenager.

Angie said...

Isn't Bountiful Baskets the best?!? I'd been lusting for it to come to SLC and they finally got a stop in Bountiful in May. We've loved it ever since. Although I've never done the Mexican pack, you make it look very enticing with the roasting idea. I hope they get a spot near you soon. I'm sure it's tricky to make that 20-min pick up window with a long drive to factor into the plans! Keep sharing your great ideas...I'm always wondering the best way to use everything.