05 November 2009

Nightmare Comes True. Not so Bad.


You know how sometimes parents find their children in cute little distressing predicaments and don't get the child out until they snap a little pic first, just for posterity? One of those moments did not happen last night.

We had some (delightful awesome) friends over for dinner, and while we visited we heard some disconcerting screams coming from the direction of Grace's room.


Alex ran in to find that Grace had magically pulled her dresser down on top of herself. As daughter of Alex, she exerted her inherited superpowers and held the dresser up until she was rescued.

The (FULL) vaporizer was on top of the dresser, and when it fell the water tank cracked very badly and lost all of its water to our carpet.


Sometimes I just sit around worrying about things. One of the scariest things I have imagined is having a large piece of furniture, such as a television, or a dresser fall on and maim one of my small children. So yesterday, my nightmare came true. Thanks, Grace's superpowers, for manifesting yourselves just then, and thanks Nora, for politely avoiding vaporization.

8 comments:

Jesse said...

Was she climbing the dresser? I guess she was just following her heart....

Dansie Family said...

scary. i think the rule of thumb is if the piece of furniture is taller than it is wide it should be secured to the wall.

Lori said...

Watch out. Now Super Power Grace will start to make things tip over just to amuse herself with her amazing strength. Or maybe not.

Kimi said...

Kids are freaking scary little creatures! When my oldest was about four he pulled the armoire in my bedroom onto himself. Luckily the foot board of my bed caught it, but you should have seen that goose egg. Hello emergency room.

angela michelle said...

close scrape! makes you wonder how any child survives to adulthood.

michelle said...

That is too scary! My friend's little boy died that way. He got caught in the drawer. I don't want to scare you but you should secure all dressers and bookshelves. Lots of stores sell kits that are easy to put on and easy to remove also. Boys are even scarier when it comes to climbing, I'd do it soon =)

myimaginaryblog said...

Wow, she's amazing. I'm glad she's fine.

My kids have been saved from falling dressers when the bunk beds on the other side of the small room stopped the dressers from falling all the way. The dressers did not escape harm, though.

myimaginaryblog said...

I commented before reading Michelle's comment. Almost all our furniture is taller than wide--I prefer it that way since it gives more storage for its footprint. Some of it is secured to the wall, some not. So far we've been lucky (we had another incident where a child (I've already forgotten which one) pulled a TV down, but managed to get out of the way before it landed) but I'm thinking we need to stop relying on luck.