14 November 2009

Onion Bread

It was Bountiful Basket day today, and I got four more big onions. I haven't used the onions from the last batch of produce, so I thought I'd try an onion bread recipe.

Onion Bread
2-1/2 C water
1-1/2 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 C. honey
3 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp bacon fat (I save mine for frying eggs, etc. One of many reasons I have to exercise.)
1 egg
1 whole diced onion, sauteed until almost translucent
3 C. white bread flour
3 C. whole wheat flour

Mix water, yeast, and honey, and let sit for a few minutes until the yeast bubbles happily. Add salt, olive oil, bacon fat (can do either or both of these, just 3 Tbsp, but bacon fat makes the toast and sandwiches the BEST), slightly whisked egg, and flours. Knead these ingredients until mostly incorporated, and sprinkle the hot sauteed onion on top of them. Cover with a wet towel.

Let sit for 30 minutes.

Knead onion all the way through until you have a nice elastic dough.

Cover with a wet towel. Let sit for 30 to 45 minutes, until double. Depending on the warmth and humidity of the kitchen this could take up to an hour.

Knead until the dough tightens up and then loosens just a little.

Let sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Make into two loaves. I made long loaves and baked them both on a dark flat pan, but I'm sure this dough would work in regular 8" bread pans. I like to leave some of the air bubbles in during the loafing process just to make sure the bread is nice and fluffy.

Let loaves rise for 30 minutes, or until they are just smaller than the size you think they'll turn out. Heat oven to 350. When the oven reaches the correct temperature, bake loaves for 40 minutes.

Let bread rest 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it. If you skip this step the loaf will dry out.

I promise I will stop posting carb recipe after carb recipe after bacon fatty caramel drenched carb recipe very soon.

4 comments:

amy said...

A book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" has revolutionized my life. If you're into carb recipes...

Tink said...

you can also freeze onions. I love to dice them up and freeze them. Then they are ready to go anytime I need them.

The Rookie said...

One day I really am going to show up with a large, expensive rock on my left ring finger insisting that you be the one to domesticate me before my hypothetical fiancee realizes what a terrible wife I'd make.

I bow down to the queen of carbohydrates.

Jesse said...

Can we make some kind of bread together while I'm down for Christmas? Like I said the other day, I've had bad experiences making bread, so I'd like the help of an expert. I'm pretty sure that I'll be down for at least two weeks. I'd be happy to babysit for you in exchange :)