18 November 2009

The Rack


I decided to quilt this one by hand. I find that in order to machine quilt and baste properly I have to move the kitchen table, mop the kitchen floor, and tape down the layers. That's kind of a lot of work.


Hand quilting takes a little longer, but the hassle of an extra floor mopping after kids are in bed is a big consideration. Also, I can hand quilt while watching The Office with Alejandro, which I cannot do while machine quilting.


I might make an oatmeal pie today, if I feel ambitious. I am excited to try a good friend's crust recipe that has real bona fide lard in it.

11 comments:

Linz said...

That is beautiful!! I need to take lessons from you. Really.

Brittany said...

That quilt is going to be amazing when it's done. So cool.

Marie Says Yes said...

jenny, you are my inspiration. the end.

amy said...

You are my inspriation, too. Quilting and cooking with lard in one day.

I am dead serious.

Jillybean said...

The quilt is beautiful!

The other advantage of hand quilting is that you can have a friend or two come and help you.

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of playing under a quilt while my mom, aunts and grandma were hand quilting it.
(And there was usually a delicious pot of soup on the stove and fresh bread in the oven.)

Lori said...

Good luck with the lard recipe. That is all I use now when I actually make a pie crust. They turn out very delicious.

msjvd said...

That's really beautiful, Jen. You should definitely make some soup and bread and open the door. Seems like Jillybean will wander on in with a needle in hand. :)

The Rookie said...

Wait. What? You hand-quilt while watching The Office?

No matter how I try, I'm quite certain I will always be mediocre whenever in your presence (ermm, the presence of your blog).

mommy princess said...

It's gorgeous. It's a work of art. I'd seriously hang that on my wall!

Dansie Family said...

i think i decided to make you r oatmeal pie for turkey day. is it THAT good. i need to win and i think something unique and delicious might be my ticket. what do you think?

Dansie Family said...

so i was thinking of maybe combining pecan and your oatmeal pie. i guess i should look at the recipe, but i think maybe a nutty crunch might be good.