19 December 2009

Denim Quilt from Heck Tutorial (So You Too Can Suffer as I Did)

I was going to wait to post about this quilt until after Christmas. However, the person for whom it is intended does not read my blog, and I'm so thrilled to be done with it this early that I will post about it anyway. Making this quilt was more of an ordeal than I anticipated. Five or six denim needles later, it is done. The top has a rag-style finish. The raw edges of the denim show and will fray with multiple washings.

This method is called "quilt as you go," because you quilt small squares of batting and fabric (5 inches in this instance) to the center of a larger back square (7 inch squares of denim in this instance). You then place the large squares (denim) right sides together, and sew along the edge of the small (fabric) squares on one side. The one inch line below shows where you sew that seam. The image also shows how you can trim if you aren't exact on your bigger square measurements, and if you look at the horizontal line you will see what the strips look like after the next step.
Once you have sewn the pieces together on the 1 inch line, lay the pieces out with the denim squares faced down, and fold the small denim edges (which are now sticking up) down flat. If you don't want a rag or raw edge, you can fold them twice and sew on the very edge. I left them raw and sewed them about a half inch seam.
Once you have completed several (or all) of the strips for your quilt, use the same technique to join the strips. See above and below for how the strips look when pinned together. Is my pin cushion cute, or what? Thanks for last year's free Christmas make and takes Main Street Quilt Cottage.

Above you see my first two strips sewn together with the edges sewn down. Little did I know what grueling hours and needle carnage awaited me before I found myself with the completed item pictured below.
I liked the way the colors turned out, and I was especially pleased with the back. That said, I do not endorse this method on denim. It was a big pain in the needle. And after it was all done, Alex pointed out that one of my quilted flowers looks like a marijuana plant.

15 comments:

The Yoder's Four said...

Jen! I am VERY impressed! There is no way I will ever attempt such a project in denim with my wussy sewing machine and lack of patience. You must REALLY love whomever you made this for.

Haha...marijuana plant...

amy said...

Jen, it is beautiful. I'm thoroughly impressed. I normally think denim quilts are a bad idea, but you have changed all that forever. This one is amazing.

Heidi said...

I love your quilts. You are so dang good and talented. I wish my hands could stand to do it, but maybe in the next life when I'm around my grandma I can learn. Great job!

Jessi said...

Whoever is getting that quilt is super lucky. I have a denim quilt that is one of my favorites because it is so heavy and warm.

msjvd said...

I really like that quilt, Jen. I think the cascading colors (pot-lover's dream or no) are very pleasing to the eye.

And she'll never notice.

It is surprising that Alex did, though.

Where and when did he get his pot o' knowledge???

Peggy Clyde. said...

Beautiful quilt. You have more patience than I do.

Cory Reese said...

I beg your pardon......

I DO read your blog.

Feel free to drop it off any time this week.

Jesse said...

Very impressed. That's amazing.

Linz said...

So cute! I am very impressed!

Dansie Family said...

beautiful. but to be honest i have no desire right now to do that. one day i will enjoy quilting again.

Connie said...

Way to go Jenny, I am very proud of you. Nice blog. Love Dad

angela michelle said...

wow, that does look labor-intensive. i know denim can be a bear to work with. My MIL saved me a lot of hassle by making the denim quilt I felt my son Levi really had to have.

Pots and Pins said...

I'm impressed! That's a heckovalotof work! Your quilting looks great though and I love the colors - nice job! But you KNOW I read your blog so now that you've posted it, when the quilt arrives I'll do my best to act surprised! Thanks and Merry Christmas! xo, Nan

The Rookie said...

Amazing! I love this one!

laceeJ said...

wow, that is amazing!