08 January 2010

Dangers of Reading

When you sit down to read some novel, please do not think that you can simultaneously carefully supervise your child with the big-girl scissors. Especially do not assume this if she has long beautiful brown hair. You might look up to check on her, and find that she has already snipped three or four locks of her hair off, and is working on the next one. And then you might have to trim bangs for her, and she might think she is the cutest thing since the Kewpie Doll.
And you will have to agree with reservation, because you don't want her to think it's okay to just trim her own hair whenever she wants.



Also, if your sister comes over, don't let her talk to the deviant child, because she will be unable to refrain from smiling, laughing, and talking about how cute the child is with her new bangs, utterly removing the residual stern reprimands you have carefully applied throughout the day.

10 comments:

Dansie Family said...

it's cute and a part of childhood. as long as it only happens once.

Linz said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry. But, is the book good?

Jen said...

It was pretty good. It was a fast easy read, and I enjoyed the Africa details, though after awhile I wanted to skip the paragraph at the beginning of each chapter.

If I had to sum the book up in a sentence I would say it was like a Nancy Drew meets the Poisonwood Bible.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Love the header (I usually read this in Google Reader so forgive me if it's old news.) Your daughter is adorable no matter the hairstyle.

liliblogs said...

haha, you possess the same skill as my sister, making these things into a very entertaining read. Aslo... she does look adorable.

The Yoder's Four said...

Ahhh...the rite of passage that is lopping off one's own hair. I have to say--it looks as though Grace was just incorporating some long layers. Very fashionable! Madelyn had gotten a hold of about three pair of scissors when she cut hers a couple years ago. I must have been triply distracted.

A friend of mine's 3-year old daughter just cut a huge chunk of hair off (almost to the skin) down the center of her head. They had to shave it ALL off.

Tigger said...

Hooray! Grace cut her hair! I remember when I cut my hair (year ago). Grace still looks as cute as a button. Thank goodness she only cut what she did. Lucky she didn't butcher to her scalp!

The Rookie said...

Just so you know: I'm usually that exact sister. Being the aunt is ever-so-much easier.

As a teacher, however, I understand the fight that such sternness can sometimes be.

Catherine & Jonathan Edie said...

I agree with "The Yoder's," all she wanted was some new hip layers! And you didn't have to pay a fortune to get them. Mine cost about $60 bucks, smart girl:)

Jesse said...

At least she's learning to groom herself, right?