22 January 2010

Nickel Auction

I attended a nickel auction last night. It was so awesome!

I arrived right at 7:00, and at 7:15 the hostess explained the whole deal. Everyone brought three things to auction, a treat to share, and $5.00 in nickels. From 7:15 to 7:30 we looked at the the items for auction, and at 7:30 we began bidding. When someone won a bid, they put their total in nickels in a bowl and passed it to the previous owner of the item.

I loved this party/game for the following reasons:

1. No one has any money right now because, hello, recession. However, most people have a jar of change (and a couch or car cupholder) from which $5.00 can be gleaned.

2. Most Americans have trash that is treasure to other people. I took some scrapbook paper I didn't need or had in duplicates and a one-year subscription to Martha Stewart from last year. Some people brought things that they sold as a way of advertising.

3. The hostess was not trying to earn a jewel-handled toilet plunger from Jewely Jewelous dependent upon purchases I and our friends made at the party.

4. It is fun to give dirty looks to people you love when you are bidding against each other for that awesome children's game.

5. When women get together and there is food and shopping, everyone wins.

I came home with a Junior Monopoly game ($2.75) and some bath gel that I got for a quarter because it was late and everyone was tired of bidding.

My January Blues were dispelled. Thanks Shani!

6 comments:

The Yoder's Four said...

Fun!! You Hurricane people are always coming up with great stuff to do. I absolutely have the January blahs and have no motivation to do...anything. I like your flowery shirt also. If knits weren't my sewing enemy I might attempt that.

Project Maniac said...

That is a fun idea. Thanks for sharing.

The Rookie said...

I am stealing this idea. Seriously--such a great idea!

www.potsandpins.com said...

That sounds totally fun - and like something I must do with my friends...so are there any other details I need to know? I just think all the women I know would love it...and it's just so dreary out this time of year - what a fun way to beat the blues! Thanks Jen!

angela michelle said...

i am sending this to my sister who is great at hosting fun parties. she'll love it.

Nancy Sabina said...

I am the sister of Angela Michelle (above) and she's right! I do love it! I'm planning one right now!