17 February 2010

Crazed Chicken Pirates and some MNF

Grandma got some baby chickens from a cousin's science experiment, and after some initial worry, Henry was delighted to see them. There is a children's book called Henry and the Crazed Chicken Pirates, which is a follow-up to Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies. If you see them at the library, don't pass them. They are delightful.

Henry just loved this hat. Can you tell?

In an unrelated note: I generally avoid reading Mormon Non-Fiction because it is generally dry like unto toast, yea, verily toast without butter. However, we (meaning my book group) chose a piece that sounded intriguing.

I just finished reading A Heart Like His. If you have a book group, read it together and do the experiment. I liked the idea of the book, which is to change your heart to be more open to other people. I felt that the most interesting parts were the very first and very last chapters, which detailed some of the experiment results.

The middle was dry toastish as expected, but since the book is just 100 smallish pages, it is still a fast, easy read, and it would make a good experiment to do with friends. There are little boxed quotes on the sides of many pages, which I also dislike in books because it slows down the reading. However, I did love this one:

We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story, begging the listener to say—and to feel—"Yes, that's the way it is, or at least that's the way I feel it. You're not as alone as you thought." John Steinbeck

I think that Steinbeck inadvertently captured why many of us love to blog and read blogs.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Love that quote!

The Yoder's Four said...

Amen!

Linz said...

So true! I love the crazed chickens pirates!

msjvd said...

Great quote! He also seems to have captured why "some blogs rock" and some blogs sink.

Yours sorta rocks and rolls sometimes, Jen!

HENRY: CHICKS RULE!

The Rookie said...

Oh, Mr. Steinbeck...I love you.

Maddie Miner said...

I loved the quote, "There's no one you won't love once you've heard enough of their story." I still don't know how I feel about the book overall though...

Brittany said...

Wow. I do like that quote too. I think Henry has a very thoughtful, sort of vogue look on his face. You have gorgeous children!

myimaginaryblog said...

I totally need to find those Henry books. Obviously. Also, we have that exact hat. The very same one. (But ours is only a size 6 months, so our Henry can't wear it anymore.)