18 February 2010

Experiment Results

I was at the grocery store yesterday, and ran into a woman I know who is in a wheelchair and has faced many serious life challenges. So in my attempt to have A Heart Like His, I didn't just say "Hi, bye" like I usually do at the store. I paused, that my open heart might bless this person.

I talked to her for a minute or two, and she praised my beautiful children and then said she had to go meet someone somewhere. I realized that my little paltry attempt at not being lame and cold was nothing. This woman, who has faced much hardship, already has a soft heart that sheds cheer and joy on everyone around her.

I almost cried in front of the Doritos (which isn't saying much, because frankly I'm a basket case most of the time, but I digress.) I wondered how things would have been if I had changed places with her in the challenges. I wondered if I would have allowed my challenges to strengthen and soften my heart, or weaken and chill it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what life pours on my cereal. But for today, I send cosmic thanks to an awesome woman who taught me something in the grocery store aisle yesterday.

4 comments:

Tigger said...

Neat!
Good for you to take a minute and think of another. Way to be! I should definitely follow your example and work to have a heart more like His.
Thanks for your example Jen!

Linz said...

Very nice story! I remember once trying that and ended up having a 30 minute conversation with a complete stranger. But it was amazing! She had had such a neat life and wanted so badly to share some of it. I was late to my class but didn't regret it. Meeting Milly (whom I've never seen again) was a wonderful learning experience for me! Thanks for the reminder to always be open!

The Rookie said...

This left me with a smile. I cry in front of Doritos sometimes myself.

Cory Reese said...

I needed this reminder today. Thank you.