17 April 2010

It's Curtains for Me

Curtains
I bought a large quantity of this lovely green paisley stuff to make curtains for Alex's office and my sewing area. And now, I may report that I have completed one item. Actually, I completed two of the six panels. Sadly, I accidentally sewed one of them inside out.

However, I noted from a friend's facebook page that "Hard work pays off eventually. Laziness pays off immediately." (Thanks Kevin.) So I did not unpick the entire curtain. I hung it. I decided that I will make another correct one to match the correct one, and another inside out one to match the inside out one.

Pinky is closer to done. She is ready to sit in the UFO pile for awhile now, until I am no longer sick of looking at her.

I am also working on a hexagon quilt, inspired by quilts from this, and this, and this post by Nan. However, now that I am looking at Nan's I realized that I did that wrong, too. Oh well. It will look more patch work ish.

In a totally unrelated note, I enjoyed The Young Victoria very, very much this weekend.

8 comments:

msjvd said...

Ah! I knew you would love that movie! It has almost convinced me that Emily Blunt is wonderful!

The pink quilt is quite beautiful. I want you to show me how you quilt that way the next time I'm there... with the individually done squares. (At least I think that's what I am seeing!??)

I don't get why you don't just pick out the curtain and do it properly, since it might be expected that the bright green paisley will only be "bright" and "green" for a short time unless you do.

It is such beautiful fun fabric, though!

Project Maniac said...

Yes, there are lots of 'useful' quotes like that hanging on the walls of Stan's burger shack. I'm glad it was useful to you. Unpicking curtains isn't high on your priority list. Hardly anybody will see them and if they do notice them they probably won't even be able to tell they are inside out. I guarantee if you put them in Alex's room he probably wont even care or notice unless you tell him. But unless you are a perfectionist and want to put the time into redoing, then you had better redo them.

Saddie said...

Embracing ones lazy side is a practice I have long mastered and it has served me well. I hope it works well for you too.

I'm very much in love with all the fabrics displayed on your post and would steal them through my computer screen were that possible. Where do you go fabric shopping?

Jen said...

I don't want to pick out the curtain because it is lined, and thus it won't fade much faster inside out. Also, the inside of the fabric is almost as pretty as the outside, so it's not a huge bother.

Saddie, Where don't I shop? I got those fabrics from a wide variety of places. I love the Quilted Works in St. George, Across from Smith's and Dixie Nutrition. They are really expensive, though, so I only go there on my birthday, because they send a $5 gift coupon every year. I got the blue green paisley at JoAnn's on sale 40% off! $2.99 a yard. Some of the turquoise and pinks I got from going to quilt guild when some of the ladies donated fabric they didn't want. I might do a whole post about fabric based on this question.

Trigger said...

Thumbs up, Jen! Way to embrace immediate gratification and save yourself some hassle! I'll bet they still look fabulous.

Now I am going to have to queue Young Victoria. I've been wanting to see it. I'm overdue for a good movie.

Pots and Pins said...

Sewing curtains wrong is SO me! Love the pink quilt...and you simply must make a hexagon quilt - totally easy and fast and if you use a jelly roll (you'll need 3 or you can use two but you'll have to piece a few blocks) you can crank one out in an afternoon! I'm starting a 2nd one this week (that's the plan) and I'm more excited about this one that I've been in a long time!

The Rookie said...

The Young Victoria was lovely beyond lovely.

and

I am a living monument to the laziness quote.

Marjorie said...

I popped over here after you left such a nice comment on my quilt blog. I bought that same blue/green paisley, but for a quilt binding. It's my favorite binding ever!