31 May 2010

Aluminum Free Me

This is the first of several posts about my exciting weekend.

I was excited to travel to the other end of my state last weekend. My mom got married again; I attended my very first blogger conference; We stayed with our well-beloved sister and brother-in-law, and also one of Grace's fiances; and last but not least, I went to a get-together with like-minded people where we assembled homemade aluminum-free deodorant. Prior to our departure, this last gathering had captured my imagination.

I heard somewhere in college that one should avoid aluminum in deodorant, and after a cursory glance through the first seven to ten deodorant brands I picked up, I conscientiously decided aluminum was the way for me.

But now that I am thirty, and further down the merry path to a mid-life crisis, I am re-thinking my carefree younger ways. I probably need to take care of my precious and aging body. I mean, what if all of my headaches signify that I have a brain tumor? What if aluminum filled armpits mean painful chemotherapy or alzheimers later? Wouldn't my family rather have me stinky and alive than sweet-smelling and dead or unaware of their identities?

I was uncertain about this adventure. What sorts of things would be said? Would we go around the room and each tell our history of forsaking traditional deodorant?

Me: "Hi, my name is Jen. It has been two weeks since I started using Tom's of Maine. It has been a long road for me. I had some challenges in March, when I proudly announced to Alex that I had gone all day without deodorant, and he replied, 'I noticed.' But I am here, and I am very excited to be among new friends!"

Everyone else: "Hi Jen!"

As it was, we just told how we all knew Amy, and I won the "known her the longest" award (study abroad, 10 years ago).

We all brought hippie food. We had this awesome quinoa salad, as well as another one by Pamy, some yummy carrot soup and whole grain bread, Ina Garten Hummus, and a delicious beets, greens, and fennel salad. I couldn't believe how delicious the greens were when they looked extremely healthy (and by healthy I mean not-yummy-like-sugary-sweets).

We made tangerine/eucalyptus and peppermint/lavender deodorant. I am going to try the latter. Sadly, I spilled half of it down my shirt, purse, and jeans. However, now that I have done it once, if I like the stuff it will be easy to make more.

Emerson said, "A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature." I am glad that, though I have my eccentricities, I have encountered many masterpieces of nature.

10 comments:

amy said...

Oooh, sorry about the spill!

Thanks for coming--it was great to see you, as always, and the purposeful nature of the gathering made it all the better. Here's to masterpieces of nature!

msjvd said...

How many times have I tried to give you the recipe for Ina Garten Hummus??? Sheesh, what did you think was the point of bringing you that silly jar of tahini other than to get you to make PROPER HUMMUS, aka Ina Garten Hummus?

I hope I will soon find some tangerine deodorant in my mailbox? Or maybe just the recipe?

The Yoder's Four said...

Mmmmm. Hummus. I want Ina Garten to come and surprise me with one of her breakfast gift baskets someday.

What was the blogger conference like?

My5wmd said...

I would love the "recipe" for the deodorant. Sounds interesting.

Melissa Bastow said...

I had no idea that deodorant had aluminum in it! Does the home made stuff work as well? 'Cause I am one talented sweater.

I'm glad I met you at CBC! Although I still am going to call you Rowena in my head, even though I now know your name is Jen (I probably would have picked up on that a whole lot sooner if I ever paid attention. But most of the time the most obvious hints go right through my brain without being digested.)

bernthis said...

thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Signed:

The woman who couldn't craft if her life depended on it.

Peggy Clyde. said...

This sounds like something we all should do. Do you have a recipe? Thanks.

Brittany said...

Jenny,
If this actually works, I'll have to have the recipe. Let me know. I guess I have a little hippie in me too. :)

The Rookie said...

I am newly amazed (once again) by your talent and sense of adventure. You must let us know how it works on a hot summer day spent primarily outside sans any type of water-recreation.

And I love hippie food. A lot. (Perhaps it is the lack of guilt following its consumption?)

Mary said...

Oh, once again a commonality! I have been avoiding aluminum in deodorant for years and could tell you the brands that we like the best, but I never even considered making my own -- I will add my voice to the others -- recipe please!