26 June 2010

Goblin Valley, etc.

Goblin Valley, UT

We stopped at Goblin Valley this weekend. On the way there, we almost got a ticket but were graciously released with a warning. In reference to the warning, I will just say that honesty is the best policy. If an officer asks "Do you know how fast you were going," and you do, you should always tell the truth. The officer knows EXACTLY how fast you were going, and he appreciates honesty.

Our friends Kevin & Lori fed us magnificent Chinese food. They manage the Whispering Sands Motel in Hanksville—centrally located near many national and state parks such as Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef, a few hours to Lake Powell, Scenic highway 12, etc. Go there. You won't regret it. Also, you can view this awesome gas station which is actually just a door affixed to a hole inside a red dirt hill.

hollow mountain

While at the valley of the Goblins, we enjoyed viewing all the different Goblin body parts, such as, well I'll leave this one to your imagination.

goblin whats

This one below was definitely a nose, catching a delicate ray of sunset light. Aren't noses lovely in the sunset? Don't answer that.

goblin nose

And this next picture is not of actual goblins. That is me, trying to get a shot of both of us, while Alex is too busy working on a time lapse to trouble himself with making a happy face for the love of his life, his wife of five years and 364 days.

cute guy

We stopped to view some petroglyphs and noticed this little lizzard.

lizard wallpaper

And these pretty cliffs.

cliffs wallpaper

And a whole bunch of other stuff, like a random alienish butte. (Or is it a mesa?)

butte wallpaper

We drove a very large loop, hitting Richfield on the way and Bryce Canyon on the way back. We discovered that although we have now been married for six lovely years, we have not, in fact, run out of things to talk about.

9 comments:

msjvd said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. And a great blog, Jennifer. I'm always happy to pop in here for a little bit of "nerds in love" reading. It makes for a bright spot in my day and sometimes, keeps me smiling for a long time to come.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Fabulous photos. Congrats on your anniversary!

Angie Lewis said...

You make me miss Utah! I love Goblin Valley. It's been a long time since I was there, but it was glorious!

The Yoder's Four said...

Happy anniversary! Glad you got to go on a trip without the kids! I miss Kevin and Lori.

Jessi said...

I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I want to visit some of the southern Utah sites so, so bad. But they are not very close to Georgia. Glad you got to have a nice anniversary! Congrats on 6 years.

Heidi said...

I love the Goblin Valley very, very, very much. But I imagine it was hot, and that makes me feel not jealous at all.

My ability to be cheerful melts in the heat.

Mary said...

Utaaaah! We've made the route many a time -- do you feel lucky to be there? Corn has its own charm, I guess.

Dansie Family said...

congrats!!! and what a fun trip and great pics. i am excited for our bryce trip in a few weeks.

The Rookie said...

Isn't Hwy 12 amazing!? Seriously, this was one of my favorite trips ever--even if I remained in-state the entire time.

You are far more on-the-ball than me, however. All my pictures remain on the camera. Maybe I'll get to that this week. Maybe.