As I lamented my late finish to the race, a beloved relative told me that she ran cross country in high school and ALWAYS came in last. "Someone has to be last," she wisely said. So here are a few reasons why last is Awesome with a capital A.
1. Sometimes the prize for being first isn't really that great. I mean, who needs another jewel-handled toilet plunger?
2. If you are running in a beautiful area, i.e. all of Southern Utah, coming in last means that you had the most time to enjoy the scenery.
3. You make everyone ahead of you feel better that they weren't dead last. Every single person is glad because of YOU! You are practically Pollyanna. Without the crippled thing—unless the race was very bad indeed.
4. You can enjoy the excitement building up to the race without all of that troublesome nonsense of running to get in shape for it.
5. You are probably far enough behind that you can't even smell those stinky sweaty people at the front of the race.
6. You get to gripe much more about the pain you are in over the next few days than those people who are all taut and muscular who don't even get sore.
7. Alex was the last person I thought I would marry when I was in high school, and now our lives are full of joy and bliss.
8. If you are the last child born to your parents, you will be spoiled rotten beyond your wildest dreams in a way that none of the older children in your family ever dreamed of in their wildest dreams. Just verify this with any oldest child, such as myself.
9. The last year of high school is the most fun. (Yeah, I'm scraping the barrel so I can get to a nice round 10 things.)
10. First the worst, second the same, Last the best of all the game.