29 July 2010

Book Group

We reported on recent reads and favorites at book group tonight. Here is the list:

Dandelion Wine, by Ray Bradbury.  Kara recommended this one. She read it a long time ago, and said it is not typical sci-fi Ray Bradbury, but she praised the writing style. The stories flow as a series of vignettes through a summer in an early twentieth century American town.

Cape Light (Cape Light Series, Book 1), by Thomas Kinkade, and Katherine Spencer. Barbara has been reading and enjoying this series. Kinkade has teamed up to write a series of novels set in a town called Cape Light. There are Christian themes, and it is in a modern setting. I suspect that the idyllic approach to painting will also be used in Kinkade's approach to writing.

Barbara also mentioned that as a child she loved The Magic Garden, by Gene Stratton-Porter, but it's out of print, so you'll have to borrow it from her. 

Devil's Food Cake: A Culinary Mystery, Josi S. Kilpack. I read this, and it is the third in Kilpack's series of culinary mysteries (Lemon Tart, and English Trifle, being the first two).  They are delightful, fluffy, murder mysteries. You have to suspend your disbelief that the protagonist could run into, and solve, three murders in the course of a year, but if you can let that go, it's a fun, easy read.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief I finished this series. I thought they were much better than the movie, and they got funnier as the series progressed.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (P.S.), Levitt & Dubner. I loved this book. I think may have written about it already, but it really made me think about abortion, education, poverty, race, and a bunch of other interesting things. I was reading a Percy Jackson at the same time, and I actually could not put Freakonomics down to finish the Percy Jackson. I NEVER choose non-fiction over fiction, so that is very significant.

I already mentioned These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 (P.S.). Awesome. I ugly cried, which means I was wrenched. I think my children were distraught in my behalf. I highly recommend it.

Courting Miss Lancaster, Sarah M. Eden. I really liked this. It was a fluffy Regency Romance, but I felt like it was well-researched. It reminded me a lot of some of the lighter Georgette Heyers I've read. (Cotillion, for example.) I am hoping my library has Seeking Persephone, by the same author, because it is already out of print, but I really liked Courting Miss Lancaster.

There were only a few of us there tonight, so I think next month I will change our meeting time to a Wednesday. I am debating between doing book reviews again, suggesting Dandelion Wine, or having a murder mystery night, when we can all pick a murder mystery to read and review. Any thoughts?

6 comments:

msjvd said...

It's impressive what a rich, culturally vibrant, intellectual life you and your friends manage to keep alive in Hurricane, Utah.

When you're not camping with Mr. Choco-face-camera-grabber.

Well done!

Jessi said...

I'm going to add some of these to my list! Thanks for the reviews.

Saddie said...

Wednesdays? Oh joy! I so want to come, but Thursdays tend to be overbooked.

You've sold me on Freakonomics - now to obtain a copy.

The Rookie said...

I love the succinctness of your book qualities. I struggle getting down to the nitty-gritty in pretty much everything. Hooray for books!

The Rookie said...

Not qualities. Reviews. I think I read or heard the word "qualities" while typing, but didn't bother to review what I'd written. Does this happen to you also?

Project Maniac said...

Let me know when the next one is. I want to come, and I love murder mysteries, so that is what I vote for. I've read a ton of those.