23 September 2010

This Baby Better be a Girl.

Quilt as You Go, PINK!
I have been working on this quilt for around three years off and on, because I didn't have a reason to finish it. I really think this baby is a girl, though. If I am right, she can have it.

I spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself because when I quilted the two green side panels, they shrunk too small for the sides, and I dreaded lengthening them. It was actually incredibly simple when I sat down to do it. (I hereby roll my eyes at myself.)

Come to think of it, now that I am in the second trimester, so many things are much more simple. I clean the house without emotional distress. I don't feel like puking all the time. I have realized that it's okay for me to weep several times a week just because I feel like it. Everything is okay. I Love the second trimester—Love with a capital L, a hug, a kiss, and a toasted almond on top (so much better than maraschino cherries).

Here is the back of the quilt. All four edges will be green stripey when it is done. I don't recommend stripe fabric for a quilt-as-you-go that is made without a pattern, because when you unprofessionally shmoosh, the shmooshing shows up more.

Back of Quilt

I took the pictures above tonight, but the one below was in the day, and it has a more accurate representation of the awesome fabric colors. I think one of my faults as a quilter is that I get so excited about wild fabrics that I incorporate too many, and my quilts are overwhelmingly busy. I'll have to work on that, but I am loving this one in spite of its busy nature.

very pink quilt

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

You do such great work.

The Yoder's Four said...

I am glad I'm not the only one who smooshes while quilting and puts off sewing projects that end up being no big deal. I LOVE pink and I reallllly hope you're having a little girl now! Really.

I rejoice that you are in your second trimester now, too. PHEW.

Linz said...

I love that quilt! You are amazing! And I am glad you are feeling better!

The Rookie said...

She wouldn't dare not be a girl, right? Love the quilt! So glad you're into trimester two!

The Stratton's said...

I love that chaos. Beautiful.

amy said...

It's a beaut! I can't imagine letting a creature as drippy as a newborn near it, but that is perhaps a function of my inability to create such a thing in the first place. You can in theory make another if the need arose. If I made it, I would be convinced it's rightful home would be on the wall in an art museum, behind glass.

I think my fetus is a girl, too, but this could be because most of my friends have had girls first and I just think girls are how it's done. We shall see. My due date is march 31 and I'm still sick, though I have the sense I'm improving, if barely perceptibly. The first trimester has been worse than my wildest imaginings, which were pretty wild. But jeez. So glad you're feeling better :)

The word verification is bepurgr. How apropos. I am indeed.

Paulette said...

I hope you have a girl too, cause that quilt is too beautiful for you to have to give away.:) I'm glad you are feeling better! I love the 2nd trimester too!

Emily Mecham said...

You are amazing - that is beautiful! Wish we lived closer and you could teach me to quilt, too!

Melissa Bastow said...

I'm pretty sure you just jinxed yourself into having a boy. 'Cause the world is cruel like that.

And I'm still horribly jealous and amazed by your awesome quilting skills.

Cinda said...

That is a beautiful quilt. I love the fabric and hopefully you will have a baby girl to wrap her in it.