04 October 2010

Another Scientific Diagram

For the most part, four under four is a happy time, where the children play blissfully together. There just seem to be these waves of panic among the small masses every few hours. It is as if they all realized with shock and dismay that I was in the middle of accomplishing something such as clean dishes, or paid bills. The horror!

A. "If you don't eat the breakfast you requested that I make for you, there will be hunger and suffering this morning!" Hunger and suffering ensue, for all parties.

B. "Stop hitting  your cousin with a shovel!" Adult removes shovel. Weeping, wailing, gnashing of baby teeth.

C. Simultaneous screaming from a bedroom, the backyard, and a crash or two thrown in for good measure.

5 comments:

msjvd said...

Thank heavens a family emergency is likely to be the only you or Sara ever experience "four under four."

You're doing a great job!

Emily Mecham said...

You are a saint! All of this and pregnant, too - I don't know how you're doing it! Give Sara a big hug for me!

The Yoder's Four said...

Reminds me of when I was nursery leader. I am refusing to do that calling ever again.

The Rookie said...

It strikes me that this diagram is also representative of the adolescent experience.

Keep up the good work!

myimaginaryblog said...

Oh, my goodness--I hadn't read your blog for a couple of weeks, and so much has happened. I did see you saying something on fb about a Sara who'd had some sort of medical crisis, but missed the details. I was reading your posts in order of most recent, and wondering why someone would need for their fingers to get nice and pink before going home after giving birth. OH MY GOODNESS. Bless Sara's heart, and bless your heart for pitching in with four four-and-unders. Her sweet baby is beautiful, and so is she (much more noticeably beautiful than tired) and I'm so glad that they're both doing well.

Also: I'm impressed with your 2-week menu (SOMEDAY I am going to start doing that--but probably not today), and your chorister tips are hilarious, and I'm sorry the universe is out to get your face, and you are completely right that just *being* pregnant, setting aside all other considerations of caring for a home or other kids, is very very productive.

Oh, and I hope you get to start back in on the Thief series soon. :)