24 November 2010

Christmas Conversations with a Four-Year-Old

Today we did some pre-shopping for Christmas, in which we looked at a lot of stuff and did not buy anything except diapers. This practice did not sit well with Grace, who wanted to go to another store to look at More Barbies! Later in the day this conversation ensued.

Grace: I want to have as many Barbies as Grandma has.

Me: It took Grandma many years of buying only a few Barbies at a time to get as many Barbies as she has.

Grace: I want to have as many Barbies as Grandma has.

Me: Well, we will probably get you a few Barbies at a time over a long period of time, so when you are much, much older, you will have as many Barbies as Grandma has. (I refrained from inserting that by the time she has that many she will no longer care to play with them.)

What Grace heard: "Blah, blah, blah, blah. You will have as many Barbies as Grandma  has."

Grace: giggles in anticipation.

4 comments:

The Yoder's Four said...

I think I am compensating for my own Barbie-scarce childhood by buying way too many for Madelyn. It's OK, she loves me exponentially more with each new doll.

msjvd said...

GRACE: I HAVE MORE BARBIES THAN GRANDMA. COME TO ME. I WILL SHARE. Scratch that. YOU CAN HAVE THEM ALL.

Kimi said...

That is too funny! I loved to give my barbies hair cuts. Really horrible, awful haircuts.

Tigger said...

Grace is so cute!