31 December 2010

Parenting by Attrition

Child: Mom, can I do [x thing that you don't want me to do]?
Mom: No.
Child: Please?
Mom: No.
Child: Please?
Mom: No.

Child: Please?
Mom: No.
Child: Please?
Mom: I said NO. What part of NO don't you understand? (Mom thinks: I remember when my mom used to say that, and I thought it was dumb.)

Child: waits about 30 seconds. Please, Mom?
Mom: NO! LEAVE ME ALONE. Play with the bazillion toys you just got for Christmas!

Child: waits about 30 more seconds. Please, Mom?
Mom: FINE! DO WHATEVER YOU WANT EVEN IF THE HOUSE BURNS DOWN!

3 comments:

Linz said...

Never underestimate the power of persistance! haha!

The Yoder's Four said...

I always cave eventually, too. Otherwise I get to listen to whining for the next 5 hours. Madelyn would be high quality lawyer material.

champy said...

It's like the importunate widow. They're really just keeping the commandments, deep down. . .