So, as far as winning things, I have had some great luck lately. Just today I learned that I won a print from one of my favorite photographers. However, in order that the Universe might keep in balance, I have also had some not great luck. And I'm not just talking about arriving with a seemingly healthy child at the doctor's at the wrong time of my hormonal roller-coaster. Today my sister was laughing so hard at me that I think she almost cried, so I thought I'd better share a little list.
* I recently dropped a three or four hour old cell phone in the toilet. I did not purchase insurance on the phone.
* I lost a $100 bill in December, which was emotionally significant, because it was part of an awesome heartfelt thank you note from my poor hand-crippled sister, intended to purchase a car seat for my forthcoming son (not daughter.) I think I may have accidentally thrown it in the trash.
* My beloved sister bought me a car seat after generously forgiving my idiocy, which made my being a huge loser even WORSE.
* New Years Resolution? So far, pretty much a FAIL.
* Remember when I accidentally shaved Henry's head? Yeah, well I did it again. The exact same way. Stupid shaver guards. It hasn't even been ONE YEAR since the last time I did it. My father-in-law, who was in the next room both times, informed me that they were not laughing with me. They were laughing at me. And who can blame them?
* The night I shaved Henry's head, I was complaining to Alex about how rotten my luck has been, and how I am getting sick of eating humble pie—bitter, bitter humble pie. Then I went to pour myself a glass of milk, in which to drown my sorrows, and instead of hitting the cup, I poured milk all over the table, on the seam so that it dripped all over the floor as well. Alex generously cleaned up my mess, saving me from bending over while seven months pregnant. He did laugh at my expense, but I can't blame him. I had a hard time keeping my sour grapes face at that point as well.
Let us hope that this bloggy bad luck purge will enable me to get back in balance and quit winning contests so that I can also quit being a big loser in other areas.
So, how is your January?