25 February 2011

Book Group

We had book group last night. Here are some of the ones that caught my interest:

The Blue Castle, by LM Montgomery. I love the Anne series. It sounds like this is just one book, and has romance and appealing character growth in the protagonist.

The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss. This one is three stories that weave together, and apparently the ending is so clever that it makes you want to read the whole thing over again to catch what you missed the first time.

Daddy Long-Legs and Dear Enemy, by Jean Webster. Set in the early twentieth century, these tell the story of a girl and her friend at a period of their lives when they are coming of age. I love a good coming of age story.

I read Time Traveler's Wife, as I mentioned, and part of Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, but the hanky panky in Outlander became too much for me, so I put it down and read the first Fablehaven again. I will say for Brandon Mull that he started well, but he definitely improved in writing skill with each book in the series.  I even bought this series at a brick and mortar store, because I'd like my kids to enjoy them when they are a little older.

Next month our theme is Ireland / Oscar Wilde. Any suggestions? I've read a lot of Wilde's stuff, and Ireland books are so often depressing. I was thinking of reading How Green was my Valley, but that is actually set in Wales. Has anyone read Finnegans Wake?

No baby yet, though I was 38 weeks yesterday, which is technically full term. We're not thinking about that, are we?

9 comments:

Claire said...

You should read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Jessi said...

I just put "How Green Was My Valley" on hold at my library. I'm hoping it comes in soon.

Thora said...

Does it have to be fiction? There is a great book (to me) about Ireland - called The Pipes are Calling, our Jaunts through Ireland, by Niall Williams and Christine Breen. It's a memoir of traveling around Ireland by a family. Also, I never read their other books (which mostly come earlier in time), but I really liked it - it made me want to move to Ireland, and renovate an old farmhouse. Avram said no. I'm sure their other books would be interesting too, perhaps even more interesting, depending on your interests. (Wow, that was a redundant sentence.)

Here's the link to amazon: (although I only get books from the Library - it's practically rule for me).

http://www.amazon.com/Pipes-are-Calling-Through-Ireland/dp/0939149524/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Thora said...

Now I've gone and reserved their first book - O Come Ye Back to Ireland - I'm excited to pretend I'm in Ireland again!

angela michelle said...

Wait, you were 38 weeks yesterday? That means we are only one day apart!

msjvd said...

March 5th, pookie-kins. And JETHRO, as ever. (Please start watching NCIS!??)

I read whatever is in the free stacks at work. And I only read at the gym. Since the arrival of P90X at my house, that means I no longer read fiction and only read at work.

I suppose I'll survive. You seem to be in good spirits. Luv you always. Send Grace soonest!

Heidi said...

I read I Am of Irelaunde, which was pretty good. But you can't be overly sensitive about stuff (I think--it was a long time ago so I can't remember exactly). It's a variation of the St. Patrick story mingled with Celtic mythology. Pretty interesting.

Also, The Blue Castle is MARVELOUS. It's a slow starter, but ends perfectly. Also Daddy Long-Legs is a great story (and the illustrations are funny, too).

I read a lot of "questionable" books with very little remorse, but for some reason I just couldn't get on board with The Time Traveler's Wife. I thought it reduced to love to sex in so many instances.

And I also have Fablehaven for my children (I am always buying books for the future interests of my children--I'm that confident that they will turn out just like me . .. )

Melissa said...

I have no suggestions for you, but thanks for all of yours. I've been looking for something good to read.

Melissa

myimaginaryblog said...

Irish stuff IS depressing, isn't it? Pygmalion might be a fun choice. I think I read Finnegan's Wake but I sure don't remember much about it.

Or if you want Irish-American and really want to go for depressing (but brilliant) you could read or watch Eugene O'Neill's A Long Day's Journey Into Night. (For some reason I'm fond of that one, maybe just because I wrote a college paper about it, unless I'm remembering wrong.)