02 February 2011

February Book Group

We had book group last Thursday, and I am so glad the ladies graciously allowed me to invite myself. We talked about Africa books. We decided to read love stories for February, and this is the list:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte, which is also a fantastic Masterpiece theatre piece from 2006 if you need something for the Netflix cue. The cover on my friend's copy says, "Just the right amount of heaving bodices," and I am inclined to agree.

Rooftops of Tehran - Mahbod Seraji, If anyone has read this link to a review in the comments or have me check your goodreads.

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Ann Shaffer, One of a very few books I would possibly read more than once just for fun.

These is My Words - Nancy Turner (This was my suggestion. I just love the love story in it!)

Bloody Jack - L.A. Meyer, Don't ask me how this one is a romance, but it's on the list. I hear the audio recording actress is on par with Jim Dale, who read the Harry Potter books. I think it is YA.

Time Travelers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
 
Please leave a note of any of these that are a must read, or your favorite love story if you have one. I expect to do more reading in the immediate future because that is all I do while nursing. Five more weeks tomorrow. I have begun assembling the home birth stuff.
 
Also, I am going to wedding and taking the kids. Special thanks to Marie, who was the ONLY one to give me unmitigated permission to stay home and eat bonbons. I do love complaining, as I'm sure you've all noticed, so thanks for pointing out that going will include future complaining rights. Sadly, I am pretty sure I am not allowed to wear sweatpants to all of the events, which I'm sure my fellow pregnant friends would agree would be a great boon.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Of course, Jane Eyre is amazing. I loved Guernsey too. Haven't read These is My words, but heard great things. Not so much a fan of Time travelers wife. Definitely an interesting read, but I just couldn't fall in love with the characters. Plus, there was quite a bit of sooky-sooky, which I don't think really added that much to the story. A lot of people in my book club disagreed with me though.

Way to buck up and get yourself to the wedding. I say you have full rights to stay home in sweatpants. :)

The Yoder's Four said...

Persuasion by Jane Austen! What a great love story. I haven't read any of the other books.

I also love complaining. It's what makes blogging fun!

PS. Jim Dale is AWESOME narrating Harry Potter. The best ever. End of story. The only way to take a road trip is with him along for the ride.

Heidi said...

Bloody Jack is my favorite, favorite, favorite YA heroine ever.

EVER.

You should read.

Mary said...

I loved "These is My Words" and bawled, bawled, bawled. I think I was pregnant when I read it. Loved Guernsey, and Ladies no. 1 Detective Agency. We just read "The English Patient" for our book group. I really liked it - much better than the movie. If you like Jim Dale you should watch "Pushing Daisies" on Netflix, he narrates it, and now I hear him narrating every other book I read in my head. "Love in the Time of Cholera" (last month's book club book) was strange in his voice... (in my head)