I will be birthing this babe at home, and I have been compiling stuff for the event from a list my midwife gave me. I found the list interesting, so I thought I would share some of the items.
* Custom Birth Kit from http://www.inhishands.com/.
* Lots of fluids to stay hydrated
* Shower curtain liner (or any textured plastic)
* Old, clean sheet, that can be thrown away if necessary
* 2 old receiving blankets, to be wrapped in foil and warmed in oven during labor
* Bottle each of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide
* pillows, towels, etc.
The birth kit has stuff like sterile gloves, absorbent disposable pads, and bunch of other miscellaneous medical supplies you might not easily find on the shelf at Walgreens. The list is longer, but you get the idea.