27 May 2011

Feminism Book Group

Book group convened at my house last night, and it was excellent. We chose Feminism for our theme this month.

I read Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History, by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

This book details a lot of the general history of feminism, and the author structured it around the works of three authors: Christine de Pizan, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Virginia Woolf. I was initially annoyed with the title, because I am generally a well-behaved woman, and I disliked thinking that I will probably not make history. However, after reading the book I am not bothered by the statement at all. The title ironically came from an article the author wrote in the 70's about a bunch of puritan women who were not much remembered because they were just good. She researched their eulogies, and gave them a history in her article. I highly recommend that anyone interested in the subject read this book.

Just a few of the topics she covers: the Amazon legends, the relation of feminism to the civil rights for blacks movements, and second wave feminism.

On a side note, I just love my book group. Everyone is so bright and opinionated, it makes for the most delightful discussions. I also appreciated how one of our talented ladies spontaneously sang the suffragette song from Mary Poppins.

Other books that were discussed:

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

A Room of One's Own (Annotated)

This essay details what happened when Virginia Woolf went to the library to find out why women were poor, and discovered that there was pretty much no history of or for or by women that had even been written. She mentioned the need for women to have a room to go and write. Her idea made me think of blogging, because this is (occasionally) my little psychological room where I go and think and write. So hooray for blogging!

Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place, by Terry Tempest Williams

Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place

I didn't hear a ton about this book, but the ladies who read it seemed to enjoy it. If I'm not mistaken, the author is LDS. 

Someone watched Iron Jawed Angels, which is about the women's suffrage movement.

It seems like there were more, but I can't remember other titles. For next month we are reading Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, in conjunction with the Shakespeare Festival, and I think we'll be attending the play if I'm not mistaken.

2 comments:

The Yoder's Four said...

Mmmm. The Shakespeare Festival! Let me know when you're going to the play--I might just crash the party!

Pots and Pins said...

So glad I got to sit a spell and catch up on your blog - your book group sounds like mine, opinionated and not afraid to share - the best kind! Loved the pics of the munchkins - they are HUGE! And you look fabulous - as in, I can't believe you just had a baby! It's only been 26 years since my last baby and I'm still waiting for my baby weight to go away! I've got every book you mentioned on my "to read" list...if only I could stay awake a bit longer at night! xo, Nan