04 June 2011

Free Fishing Day, and Climbing Psychological Mountains



Our kids each caught their first fish today. So yes, I did eventually decide not to go full on vegetarian (speaking of a subject from many months ago). Someone brought up the integrity issue of eating meat only for social events, and I knew that I must be a woman of integrity. So if we will eat it at someone else's house, we will eat it at home.

Grace won a free fishing pole from the DWR, which Henry coveted loudly all the way home.

Speaking of my stubborn middle son, Henry is not potty trained. I grieve this state of affairs deeply, but I am getting close to the top of the psychological mountain every mother must crest before she embarks on the horrifying journey of potty training. So I expect he will be joining the ranks of children who are allowed to go to pre-school soon. I have an excuse for his late age, but I have blabbered about it so many times that I am sick of even mentioning it. Perhaps getting sick of my excuse is also part of climbing the psycho-mountain. I use a three day method. Well wishes and tips will be accepted and appreciated.

9 comments:

msjvd said...

Alex is looking a bit thin. Bordering on peaked.

Needs more pie, perhaps?

The Yoder's Four said...

May the force be with you on your 3 day quest/trial by fire/boot camp with Henry. Might I suggest hefty bribes? Barbie mermaids were the only thing that convinced my FOUR YEAR OLD to finally cooperate with potty training. Where do these kids get their stubbornness, anyway?!?

The Stratton's said...

3 day potty training is a God-send. Good luck. Let me know if you want any help with the rest of your motherly duties while you tackle the endeavor.

Sarah B said...

Luisa had a BATTLE to get her first little guy potty trained. I think he was rebelling? Not sure she ended up doing anything, but she did try pretty much everything under the sun so maybe she has a few tips? Good luck reaching the crest!!

Marie Says Yes said...

potty training. the horror!

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I wish you the best of luck with potty training. We just crested the mountain that is night time potty training a year after we had the daytime routine down. I would have 20 kids if I didn't have to potty train them! okay not really but you get me right? I am more then willing to have Grace and Scott come on down the hill to my house while you tackle this mountain!

myimaginaryblog said...

Mmm, fish.

My potty-training theory is to wait until they're ready and eager--which has sometimes been older than four. I'd rather change diapers forever than get in a power struggle over something I want them to "own." (Oops, that comment started lighthearted and veered right into earnest.)

Saddie said...

I'm in the middle of the same battle with Hazel. Ugh. Good luck!

msjvd said...

I think you should point out to Henry that the REAL fishermen were rubber boots, not rubber PANTS. And that diapers don't work out to well with becoming a fisherman. You can't "wade out" if you're going to be weighed down by a wet diaper.

See, this is my problem. I would try to reason with him.