15 July 2011

Elizabeth Post Rolls over in her Grave

Regardless of the pains we have taken to teach our children good manners, sometimes the dinner conversation will go like this:

Child: MORE!

Adult: I am not even going to respond to that.

Child: MORE PLEASE!

Adult: I don't even know what you want.

Child: MORE RICE PLEASE!

Adult: You are still doing it wrong.

Child: Can I please have some more rice?

That's right. The fourth attempt.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Every day I identify more with mommy hummingbird, whose job seems to be to hover near the nest above our front door, various food items dangling from her mouth after successful foraging. The baby bird just sits there and waits, beak straight in the air, for MORE.

3 comments:

msjvd said...

I'm sure this couldn't be my darling Grace, so please send her to my house for the next five years so she won't be exposed to this bad behavior.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

The only thing that could make this post better is........pictures?

The Yoder's Four said...

I can so relate to this. I'm required to hover at all times with various beverages, even when we're out of the house, OR ELSE.

myimaginaryblog said...

It kind of scares me how sometimes I don't even notice my kids' bad manners. Congratulations on your vigilance, hummingbird-mama.

I liked the fruit leather art--when I make plum fruit leather I'm always holding it up to the light. And I too question whether it's worth all the work when it gets devoured so quickly. But we all do love it.