04 August 2011

Recent Reads

My reading has slowed during the summer, but here are a couple of things.

I read A Midwife's Tale, by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich (who also wrote Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History). Ulrich won the Pulitzer prize for her in depth study of the diary of Martha Ballard, which records Ballard's daily life as a midwife in the late 1700s and early 1800s. I thought I would be bored based on the entries in the prologue, but Ulrich really helped paint a vivid picture of Martha's life and the times. I recommend this book to history buffs, and anyone interested in women's stories.

Last month I was supposed to read A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Shakespeare, because our group was going to go to the Shakespeare Festival. I ran out of time to read it, and everyone else ran out of time to go, too. Actually, my real reason for not reading, is that I read while nursing, and the Riverside edition of the Complete Works of Shakespeare that I own is just too bulky to fit on my boppy pillow with the baby, and too heavy to hold one handed. Perhaps another season of life will be my season for reading Shakespeare.  I did read the introduction to the play, and I remember from college days that it is a great edition, so I recommend it to anyone wanting one.

I just finished Gail Carson Levine's A Tale of Two Castles. I enjoyed it more than Ever, but not as much as Fairest or Ella Enchanted. If you are a Levine fan, read it.

4 comments:

msjvd said...

I only read your blog.
That's all I ever read.

No, really, honest Injun!
This is all I ever read.

And edu-kay-shun-al, too, right?

The Yoder's Four said...

You need a Kindle! All of Shakespeare's works are free! Or anything else that's out of copyright. My complete works of Jane Austen book is ENORMOUS, so I never read out of it--I'd go to the library instead. Now all her books are on our Kindle, along with a slew of other classics that were all free.

The Rookie said...

I meant to read more this summer, but a second job wedged itself in the way of my list. But that's the joy of books--they'll wait patiently for you.

angela michelle said...

I have a Riverside edition too! If I had a million dollars I'd send you a nook.