21 September 2011

It's Official

I had the carpool Tuesday this week, and one of our carpool friends came over after school until her mom got home from work. Let's just call her Ava to protect her privacy. So "Ava" and Grace were playing really well together in Grace's room. I heard happy and peaceful noise, and I was doing something in the kitchen, so I didn't check on them right away.

When I went back to check on them, something was not normal in Grace's room. Both beds were neatly made, and all of the toys were picked up from the immaculate floor. All of the shoes in the closet had been moved carefully into the corner, so that toys I normally pile in corners around the room each had a nice parking place. The typically toy-strewn doll cradle held a baby doll, perfectly tucked in with a neat little doll blanket over her. Every blanket was crisply folded and stacked in an appropriate place.

They had been playing "maids." I realized that an unusually talented six year old girl had cleaned my daughter's room for her TEN TIMES BETTER THAN I HAVE EVER CLEANED IT. I think this means I am officially housework challenged.*

*If you need further evidence of my claim, I burned spaghetti sauce and massacred stroganoff both this week.

12 comments:

msjvd said...

I think we ought to proclaim the brilliance of the mother that taught "Ava" that game! Wowzer!

Linz said...

:) I agree. We must reward this woman for her genious.

The Yoder's Four said...

Give me Ava's number so she and Madelyn can have a playdate. Please???

Oh and I failed miserably at making homemade bread for like the TWENTY-SEVENTH time this week. And my pumpkin vines are all moldy. And Luke just pooped on my carpet this morning. It has been fail after fail in the homemaking department.

Melissa Bastow said...

I need that 6 year old to come clean my house...because I'm not going to do it.

Lili said...

bahahahahaha. Awesome.

amy said...

Did they just come up with this on their own?! I feel like I need more information. I would pay handsomely to have a child brainwashed into thinking housework is fun.

I've seen your quilts. You know how to can things. Tidying is a drudgery and a bore. You are a domestic paragon. There's just no way around it.

Jen said...

Yes, they did come up with it on their own. I have never had a child want to play that game, but I am going to strongly encourage it from now on.

Holly said...

Hey, I like playing that game. I just don't like playing it over and over and over and over and over ...

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I have had 'Ava' over to play at my house many times and they have never wanted to play maids before. Kenny's room could REALLY use a maid. I think I am going to suggest this game next time 'Ava' comes over.

Brittany said...

What a great game!!!! I need to teach my kids that game....

The Rookie said...

My friend always cleans my room better than I ever could. That's why I make her come in and help me usually.

By the way, I had a dream we met in real life the other night. I was kind of sad when I woke up and realized it wasn't true. You're really nice in real life, by the way. ;)

Gina said...

Love this! I'm going to have to sneak this little idea into my kids' minds. By the way- the 80's getup in the next post really works for you. you look super hot in it!