29 November 2011

Book Group, Fertility Awareness, ie Men Stop Reading Here

I don't think I have reported on book group for awhile now, so I thought I'd better catch up. In October we did Vampires, and I read a short story by Anne Rice called The Master of Rampling Gate. I tried to read something else by Rice, but I just couldn't get into her writing style.

November's theme was Russia, and I checked out a book of Chekhov's plays, which I ran out of time to read after a brief perusal of the preface/biography part. After hearing what everyone else thought about what they read, though, I think when I get around to reading Russian literature, it will have to be The Brothers Karamazov, because Anna Kareneininerneener has adultery, and I pretty much hate adultery and would have a difficult time sympathizing with an adulterous character.

I haven't read my book group fare very well because I have been reading this book:



Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler. I LOVE this book. I think every woman concerned in any way with fertility should read this book, if for no other reason than it helps her understand the every day and every month workings of her biology. I am not quite done reading it, but I love the writer's humorous tone. It is packed with useful information about female anatomy and biology.

The subtitle is The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health. The natural birth control method is what got me interested in this book, but after reading it I am recommending it to everyone I can possibly weasel into a conversation about it. (By the way, this method of natural family planning is NOT the rhythm method. This method involves charting your own temperature and other biological indicators every day.)

I just feel like it is so empowering to completely understand your own biological processes. I feel a little frustrated that when I got married and asked the doctor what my options were, this one was not mentioned. Everything listed was hormone or barrier. I am having a hard time not calling all the people I know (and care about) who struggle with fertility issues and saying, in my nasal voice, after pushing my glasses up my nose, "Have you read this?" I especially think this would be a good book for those who are early in their infertility journey, to help them feel like an intelligent participant in their conversations with their medical practictioners.

I would offer if anyone is interested to let them borrow this book, but I want to keep my copy for reference. So if you want it, buy it. It is cheap on Amazon, and you will want your own copy. I tried to check it out from the library, but someone had kept it and paid for it.

Thanks for the recommendation, no longer childless housewife.

2 comments:

amy said...

There is nothing more satisfying on this green earth than a solid convert. I can see the appeal of missionary work. It's downright heady.

And now, to all who read comments: I charted for two years to avoid pregnancy. It worked. Then I got pregnant the first time I tried, with one try. I recognize this is perhaps an over sell as not all women will have cycles so accommodating, but figured I'd share, for what it's worth.

I think this book would make excellent health ed curriculum for both sexes. It's obscene how little the average woman knows about her own body, and the average man about his female partner's.

Christy and Adam said...

Jen that is a great book. I recommend people don't buy the software. They have a free website that you can use for charting. I recommend this site because they also have a store that you can get ovulation prediction kits for pretty cheap.

http://www.tcoyf.com/