09 January 2012

Recipe Reviews

I have not  posted a recipe for a long time, so I thought I'd just share links to a few that I have really liked lately.

1. Martha Stewart's Homemade Graham Crackers

I made these for the kids, and they loved them. I found the recipe shortly before Thanksgiving, and I also used it as a crust under a banana cream pie. I was very, very pleased. I loved the flavor and texture, and the dough was easy to form into fancy pastry shapes. I rolled it out with waxed paper instead of parchment, and that worked great. I found it amusing that her recipe calls for "high-quality" honey. I just used raw local honey, and it was fine.

2. Oven Fries

Actually, I changed this recipe's spices significantly, and the results were elbow-your-neighbor-for-the-last-spatula-full good. I added paprika and cumin and went easy on the red pepper. Mmmmmmmmmm. I previously underestimated the importance of cutting the potatoes small enough to be french fry-ish, and I also think I have over-oiled oven fries in the past pretty heavily. I saw another oven fry on pinterest that had ten times the oil of this recipe. To me that seems almost like deep-frying in the oven instead of a deep frier, don't you think?

3. Chicken Parmesan Bake

I saw this on Pinterest (ie the source of all the interesting food trials in my house for the last three months). Everyone to whom I have fed it has really liked it. It is worth the trouble of watching the video and writing down the recipe. I made homemade marinara and french bread croutons to top it, and they were delicious, too, but all that extra work makes me less inclined to do this often. 
4. Easy Cheese Danish

I also found this on Pinterest. I tried it for Christmas morning breakfast. To avoid the grocery store on Christmas Eve, I halved the cream cheese, and the author was right that it is still yummy. Still, I will try with both packages of cream cheese next time, just because I think it would have been better with both. Love how easy this is.

2 comments:

The Yoder's Four said...

Ooohhh, recipes on Pinterest......glad you found some that worked out! The cheese danish sounds GOOD!! Thanks for the links!

My5wmd said...

I'm pretty sure than local, raw honey IS high-quality honey. You have to be careful in the store these days that you're not buying "honey" that is actually partly corn syrup. It's a sad, sad world.