11 March 2012

Children of the 1998 Extemporaneous Speaking State Champ

Grace bore her testimony for the first time today. Our philosophy is not to help our kids at the pulpit in sacrament meeting, and we informed her of our policy.

She was insistent. She got up all by herself and said, "I'd like to bear my testimony. That was my dad that just bore. I love my mom and dad, and Henry and Scott. I know Heavenly Father loves me, and I know he loves all the people in the whole world even though some of them are naughty. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Henry also bore his testimony for the first time today. He is the youngest child I have seen get up in our congregation, and he was spurred on to this incident by his older sister's example as well as his deep and abiding love of speaking in a microphone (which love Grace also shares).

Before Henry went up Alex informed him that he could only talk about Jesus Christ. He went up and said, "Jesus Christ. Transformers. And not trains. [ long pause ] Thank you for our house. Thank you for church. Thank you for my train bed. Thank you for not hot lava. Thank you for Mom and Dad and Grace and Scott. [long pause] Amen." I think there was more in there, but I was sweating bullets about mentions of punishment or other embarrassing things, so I can't remember everything super clearly. Most of us thought he said "Not hot waffles," but Alex figured out the lava thing. That made much more sense, because I know that Henry is very grateful indeed for hot waffles any time he can get his grubby little hands around them.

As soon as Henry finished I left the room to feed Scott and figure out how to breathe in and out again. Luckily, the next brother who shared his testimony pointed out that Jesus Christ is in fact the greatest Transformer.

10 comments:

The Stratton's said...

Today was one of my favorite weeks of the two and a half years we have lived in this ward. I thought Grace was fantastic. I love, love, loved her knowledge of Heavenly Father's love for naughty people. Henry made me smile from ear to ear. You and Alex are obviously great parents! Kudos to you. I, too, loved Bro. Heaton's application of Transformers.

The Yoder's Four said...

Your kids are hilarious!!!!!!

amy said...

This is so funny I'm forwarding the link to people who've never met you. I'm dying here.

msjvd said...

Hilarious! :) Looking forward to hugging the little squirmers...

The Stratton Family said...

LOVED them! Your kids are too TOO cute! I agree with Andrea, it takes great parents to raise such smart (and brave) kids!

akclyde family said...

They were so cute! :)

sammygrace said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LOOOOOOOOVE IT.

Dansie Family said...

funny. james has been begging us to let him go, but i know he would bear his testimony of cars 2 and star wars so we're sticking with fhe for a few more years.

Peggy Clyde said...

Loved those testimonies. Thanks for sharing.

The Rookie said...

THIS is why I can't wait to leave the singles' ward.