05 October 2012

October Sisters Recipe Exchange

My sisters in law and I have been doing an email recipe exchange, and I am LOVING it. So I am sharing a few that I sent this month.


Asian Salad
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark sesame oil
3/4 cup salad oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds

sliced green onions
peapods
mandarin oranges
green pepper
toasted sliced almonds
fried wontons, sliced into strips before frying

Mix dressing and serve toppings over a large bed of romaine lettuce.
This makes a HUGE salad, so it is good for pot luck stuff. It is also
good with very finely sliced cabbage or napa cabbage, which have anti
breast cancer properties as they are cruciferous vegetables. You could also throw grilled chicken or canned chicken in to make this a dinner salad.

This is one of my favorites from Vegetarian Times:

Gingery Quinoa Salad with Apples, Peas, and Coconut

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/gingery-quinoa-salad-with-apples-peas-and-coconut/

It is very delicious and high protein. I think I may have posted it before, but if you didn't try it last time, you can try it now. I got the recipe at a party where we made deodorant together. That was definitely a highlight of that year for me.

Sweet and Spicy Pulled Pork
6-7 lb pork shoulder
1/2 C. brown sugar or apricot jam or jelly
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp cayenne

Cook in crock pot on high for 8 hours. Serve with brown rice.

I have a tip for enhancing the nutritional profile for brown rice.
Lately i have been substituting 1/4 of my total volume of brown rice
with pearl barley. Brown rice is already very healthy, but that adds a
little variety, and almost no change to the texture overall. I do
brown rice in my rice cooker with 2 and 1/4 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt,
and a tsp or two of butter for each cup of dry brown rice.

Best Fried Green Tomatoes
This is a useful recipe for the fall when the garden gets ready to produce a bunch of magnificence, and then the cold stops the tomatoes in their tracks toward red perfection.

4 large green tomatoes
2 eggs
1/2 C milk
1 C all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup bread crumbs*
2 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
vegetable oil for frying.

Directions

    Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard the ends.

    Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour
onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on
another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes
into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.

    In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is
1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place
tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the
size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch
each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the
other side. Drain them on paper towels.

* a note on bread crumbs: I have been freezing the ends of all of our
loaves of bread, that way when I need bread crumbs I can take one out
of the freezer as I begin prepping, throw it in the blender after it
has thawed a little, and then use them up.

I have really enjoyed this recipe exchange so far and have found a few awesome recipes and great tips. 

1 comment:

msjvd said...

Sometime, you might try adding a couple of tablespoons of smooth peanut butter to that ASIAN salad dressing. Adds a different dimension.