01 April 2013

This is Not a Joke

I know it is April 1, and I know this is a really unexpected post from me, but Alex and I actually went somewhere far away for several days without our children. After you arise from having passed out on the floor in shock at this news, I will share a paltry few of the 200+ pictures I took of our lovely trip with the DSC Art Department to Los Angeles, in no particular order.

Our first stop was the Huntington Gallery, where I saw the piece below, which was created for William Morris' design house. I have always loved Morris stuff since I studied abroad in London. Incidentally, Alex was sure he did not get the job at the college because he did not know who William Morris was in his interview. When he got home I was very distraught and wished I could have been in the interview with him so I could geek with Mr. Blakley about Morris and the Pre-Raphaelites. I bought a magnet of this wallpaper: 
LA 2013

Magnets are so nice, and you don't have to dust them. The Huntington had some crazy beautiful gardens, including a magnificent array of succulents in the Cactus Garden:
LA 2013-8

This hot guy let me get a photo with him in the Japanese garden. There are also a Chinese Garden, an Australian one, a sculpture garden, and many other gorgeous grounds at the Huntington.

LA 2013-7

On Saturday, we went to The Getty Villa, which is laid out after a villa dug up in Herculaneum, near Pompeii. This place was gorgeous, with incredible marble everywhere, from the statues to the floors and walls. Alex was in love with all of the Greek and Roman stuff. He was Greeking out, you might say. Sorry, sometimes I can't resist a bad pun.

LA 2013-6

The beauty below was at the Getty Center, not to be confused with the Getty Villa, though their landing page is the same. It is a JMW Turner, and I fell in love with Turner as well when I was in London. Turner was like the bridge between the great classical masters and the impressionists, and I just want to float into his paintings and live there when I look at them. I love that he had the technical skill and prowess of the masters, but that he got out of their box and took it to the next level.

LA 2013-5

We also saw a lot of California Poppies, designed by The Greatest Artist. I think these were in front of the Norton Simon Museum. The NS had a great collection, including an awesome chess set, and a lot of lovely impressionist work. Also, a nice garden, though it was small.

LA 2013-4

This is a copy of a first folio of Shakespeare, and we also saw a Gutenberg Bible, and a facsimile of a gorgeous Canterbury Tales. I was sad about the facsimile, but I guess it was resting its spine for a few months, to prevent damage.

LA 2013-3

I saw a lovely Tiffany lamp at the LACMA, where the collection was overall a little modern for my taste. At LACMA, Alex fulfilled his lifelong dream of visiting the La Brea Tar Pits.

LA 2013-2

I loved all of the dishes. There were dishes all over the place in the museums, and I felt gratified in my dish fetish because of the respect afforded the medium. Now, if I can convince the people to realize that quilting is an art form also, my life will be complete.

On Sunday we visited Forest Lawn, a memorial area for famous and influential people. We saw a scale replica of Michelangelo's David, the tomb of Elizabeth Taylor, and a gorgeous stained glass version of The Last Supper. We also saw the second largest painting in the world, which depicts the crucifixion on a canvas 195 feet wide and 45 feet tall. It was amazing, and they had to build a special building just to hold it. The highlight of Forest Lawn for me was La  Pieta. Maybe it was because I had not seen my own babies in four days, but when I first saw the statue I was immediately moved to tears. I was just overcome with the beauty and emotion of the piece, and after a minute I had to turn away so I would not sob. Even now I am tearing up just thinking about it. It is truly the most beautiful work of art I have ever seen.

In a contrast to the transcendent morning, our bus broke down on the way home. Luckily there were two buses, and Alex and I were the last two to get some of the extra seats on the other bus. I think the other ladies were tired of my whining about how much I missed my babies, and they took pity on me. 

This is not a joke either. We did not go to Disneyland, and our motel was about a block away. We went to Cheesecake Factory with some good friends. It only cost a little over half as much as the tickets to the park. Haha. 

2 comments:

Marti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Yoder's Four said...

Ohhhh. I have seen and done many of those things, too. What an awesome trip. My grandpa and great-grandparents are buried at Forest Lawn--I've been there many times. La Pieta is the most beautiful sculpture I have ever seen. Someday I need to get to the Vatican to see the actual thing. It moves me so much.

PS. The tar pits are awesome. The sheer amount of bones is staggering. I hope they really do bring the wooly mammoth back from extinction (it's in the works).