29 April 2014

39 Weeks, but Who's Counting?

I took this photo on Sunday, and am right around 39 weeks.

For a few weeks leading up to this point I have felt "done" with this pregnancy, and every contraction made me excited and nervous that it might be "time." Then I remembered that I had decided not to have the baby until at least May 2, and I have slept much better since that time.

Here are a few things I have appreciated lately.

* Mothers and sisters and sisters-in-law visiting me and cleaning my house and cooking or buying food for me. My front door and windows have been sparkly all week, and a pregnant lady certainly needs a little sparkle in her life.

* I informed the children that Grandma might come and sleep here if I went into labor in the middle of the night, and now they tell me to have the baby every night so that she will come sleep over. I see who is the most popular person around. 

* There is expectant mother parking at Old Navy. If you think there is a circle of that hot place worse than shoe shopping for my darling yet indecisive fashionista 7 year old daughter when I am 39 weeks pregnant, well, you are very wrong. That parking lot was a bright spot on an otherwise dreary afternoon. 

* Something I like to think about and repeat to anyone who I can entrap into listening:
Child #1: 5-10th percentile on size scale, 9 days early.
Child #2: 50-60 percentile, born on due date.
Child #3: 90+ percentile, born at 41.5 weeks, one day after my inquiries as to what pagan ritual my midwife would perform for me to get that blasted baby out before 42 weeks.

So if we go by trending, Child #4 will be in the 150th percentile, probably weighing over 10 lbs. He will be born at approximately 43 weeks gestation.  That is why I have decided to throw trending out the window. I will be performing my own pagan rituals if I go too far over on this one. What those are, I have yet to determine. Desperation is the mother of invention, right?

* I finished my drawing class tonight, which class I may have neglected to mention on this blog. I really enjoyed it, and now that I am wildly uncomfortable and basically lie around whining and not cleaning all the time, I am very relieved to be done.  My final was a portrait of Alex, and I will admit that if you stand far enough away, it is pretty decent.

* The thing I appreciate the most is that when I informed my midwife that I was worried about embarrassing myself with screaming this time, she said, "What happens in labor & delivery stays in labor and delivery." She is a kindred spirit, indeed. However, I may publish my account of the glory and drama that is childbirth on the internet later anyway.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

You look beautiful. Baby will be here before you know it. Good luck!

The Yoder's Four said...

Oh honey, I know you probably don't feel adorable right now, but you are. I hope this little man comes SOON. 41.5 weeks sounds ghastly. And scream away, scream away! You've got to make it obvious to Alex the pain and torture that he has ultimately caused.

I will try to not have my baby before yours.

Pots and Pins said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! No. 4?!? That's so awesome, crazy, crazy awesome! I'm so happy for you - I just read your post and wish you all the best, of course I also wish you a full-time maid, bottle-washer and laundress!! Congrats! I've not stopped by for a while and I've missed reading your creative self!! Good to catch up and super good to read about #4! Good luck!!! Can't wait to see the "after" pics! xo, Nan

angela michelle said...

You look beautiful. Best wishes to you in the next couple weeks.