08 May 2017

On the Occasion of Buying a New(er) Vehicle

Dear Big Blue,


I know it always irked you that I named you Big Blue when you were a big red Chevy suburban. Maybe it was my love for you that made me have to tease you. Three of my four babies took their first car rides inside of you. You made space for us when our family was expanding.

We have been through a lot of tough times together. Remember when we got stuck with the children at dinner time while we were trying to see Natural Bridges? My blood sugar was so low that I didn't laugh or take pictures. Remember the nice man with the broken arm and his sweet wife who pulled us out of the ditch with their Capable Truck? That two wheel drive was a bit of a problem for our relationship at times.


I feel like I should apologize for all of the stinky things I let my children do to you, when you have been such a mostly reliable vehicle. For all of the apple cores and crackers and smashed fruit snacks - I'm sorry. You deserved better. You gave us the best you had.

I am also sorry for the day I was so tired and so upset and tried to back out of the garage with the rear passenger door open. I'm sure that hurt.

Yes, you had your shortcomings. But the pauses you gave us had silver linings. Remember how another time when we were stuck, Alex and I shot a time lapse of the clouds rolling by? If you'd had four wheel drive, that moment of sweet serenity would never have happened.

Now it's time for us to part ways. I have loved you, Big Blue. I hope you find a good new home. Thank you for the memories. Thank you for taking us where we needed to go. Thank you for being my big red wagon full of happiness.

-Jen

1 comment:

Tigger said...

Awe, what a great tribute to your wonderful burb!